Pre-Felton acquisitions included:
- Dancing Gentleman. Gift of F.G.Dalgety 1862. NGV 501-D1M
- Cup, saucer and plate (1810-30). Purchased 1884. NGV 522.a-b-D1M [ill.] & 524-D1M [ill.]: see photo of cup at right
- Plate (c.1825). Purchased 1884. NGV 525-D1M
- Bloor Derby Tea cup (1825-48). Purchased 1884. NGV 521-D1M
- Derby Crown Porcelain Co. (in operation 1876-90): Covered vase, c.1888. Purchased 1889. NGV 532.a-b-D1M
- Tile panel (c.1897). Purchased 1897. NGV 354.a-nn-D2
[photo: Cup, 1810-30 (NGV 522.a-D1M)]
Derby Porcelain, established at Nottingham Road, Derby, in about 1748, by Andrew Planche and William Duesbury, was appointed “Derby China Manufacturers to His Majesty” by George III in 1775.
Bloor Derby refers to the period when the firm was headed by Robert Bloor, from 1815 until his death in 1845.
After the original business closed in 1848, others continued to make Derby porcelain at King Street (1848-1935). For an example, see the covered vase of c.1888 listed above.
Over 150 ceramic pieces made at Derby are now listed in the NGV collection, most of them acquired after 1904.
AR 1884, p.35 (under “Keramic Art”) lists several examples, as listed above
Refer NGV catalogue for further details and reproductions
For the general history, see e.g. http://potteryhistories.com/derbyhistory.html (accessed 19 April 2020; with further references and details)