The artist, who lived near Guildford, exhibited landscapes at the Royal Academy on a regular basis from 1863.
The NGV catalogue indicates that this work was shown at the Royal Academy in 1878 and then acquired, by 1883, by Melbourne collector Robert Kinnear (1820-1902). It entered Felton’s own collection in 1902.
AR 1904, p.26; NGV 1905, p.82 (III.McArthur Gallery, no.3)
The NGV catalogue provides the details on provenance noted above, but not a reproduction, as yet. For Adams, see AKL 1 (1983), p.340; Bénézit 1, pp.103-4; and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Clayton_Adams