This is the only one of four watercolours by Gigli, listed under new acquisitions in the NGV’s 1883 annual report, to have remained in the collection.
The NGV’s current online catalogue lists it as by Giovanni Battista Gigli (1713-50). However, as explained in the linked artist entry, all four works bought in 1883 seem much more likely to be by Roberto Gigli, known for his tourist views of Rome.
AR 1883, p.33 (as measuring 15 x 21 inches); NGV 1894, p.51 (II.Stawell Gallery, no.46); NGV 1905, p.51 (II.Stawell Gallery, no.60) [£15/15]
Listed in the NGV’s online catalogue as by G.B.Gigli (see comments above)