Strafford, George (c.1820-96; English/Australian)
St Paul’s Church and old Princes Bridge (c.1854)
Pencil, white gouache and watercolour on brown paper, 23 x 37.7 cm
Purchased, 1888
State Library of Victoria (H282)

This sketch shows the view from the east of Swanston Street towards the first bluestone church of St Paul’s, consecrated in 1852 (replaced after 1880 by the present cathedral, designed by William Butterfield).

For another image of the original St Paul’s, see Becker Old Prince’s Bridge 1857 {1894} SLV [PA].


AR 1888, p.36 (listed as a watercolour); NGV 1894, p.118 (V.Buvelot Gallery, 3rd bay, no.75); NGV 1905, p.129 (V.Buvelot Gallery, 3rd bay, no.19) [£2/2] 

For the first St Paul’s, see e.g.