Works included in this catalogue
De Gruchy & Leigh after Strafford Melbourne, 1856 {by 1894} SLV [PR]
Strafford Police Station, Richmond Paddock {1888} SLV [DR]
Strafford St Paul’s Church {1888} SLV [DR]

Strafford studied and exhibited in England, where he was admired by Ruskin. He migrated to Australia in 1851, and was active as a draughtsman and engraver in Melbourne in the 1850s. However, by 1861 his health had apparently deteriorated to such an extent that he was committed to an asylum, and he died in obscurity.

Bénézit reports that three of his drawings are in the British Museum, but a search of the museum’s online catalogue reveals no such works.

Refs.

For Strafford, see the entry by Thomas Darragh in Kerr Dictionary (1992), pp.764-65 and  https://www.daao.org.au/bio/george-strafford/biography/ (updated), with a list of works. See also Bénézit 13, p.422, noting the drawings supposedly in the British Museum