[photo: engraving from Victoria Illustrated 1862 (SLV)]
A work documented as acquired for the Melbourne collection in 1868, and described as an anonymous image of “Church of England Grammar School,” is identified here, provisionally, as an engraving of Melbourne Grammar School after Gill from Victoria Illustrated, first published in 1857 (2nd ed., 1862).
The State Library holds the complete 2nd edition of Victoria Illustrated (acquired after 1905?): plate 21 reproduced here. Implausibly, the engraver relocates the scene to the English countryside (a characteristic of the series criticized by Australian contemporaries).
Not listed in NGV 1894 or 1905, but included in the NGV’s list of pre-1905 acquisitions under 1868 (no.407)
See SLV catalogue: Victoria Illustrated, 1862 series, plate 21 (details and reproduction as shown here). For local criticism of the English inflection added by the engravers, see Grishin S.T.Gill (2015), pp.120ff.