Gill, S.T. (1818-80; English/Australian)
Toorak. The Residence of the Lieut.Govr.of Victoria 1854
Lithograph, 16.9 x 22.0 cm (sheet)
Gift of James Pascoe Fawkner, 1868?
State Library of Victoria (H2297)

Toorak House, built in 1849 for a local merchant, James Jackson (who died at sea in 1850), was the official residence of Victoria’s governors from the early 1850s until the completion of the present Government House (built to the design of William Wardell between 1871 and 1876).

For another view of Toorak House, see Clark (T.) Sir Henry Barkly {1865} SLV [PA].

The building is now owned by the Swedish Church.


Not listed in NGV 1894 or NGV 1905 

For Toorak House and Wardell’s Government House, see also the relevant entries by David Dunstan in Brown-May & Swain Encyclopedia of Melbourne (2005), pp. 313-14 and 723-24 (s.v.Toorak); see also