Works after Hardouin-Mansart included in this catalogue
Le Pautre (P.) after Hardouin-Mansart Ecuries du Roy… Versailles 1689 {1879} NGV [PR] [Levey gift, cat.99-100]
Nolin after Hardouin-Mansart L’Orangerie de Versailles 1688 {1879} NGV [PR] [Levey gift, cat.101-102]

Jules Hardouin, who adopted the name of his famous uncle Francois Mansart, designed various Paris buildings including the church of Les Invalides (1680), and was in charge at Versailles from 1675. He was formally appointed Louis XIV’s chief architect in 1681.

The two engravings listed here, both from the Levey gift of 1879, reproduce two of his famous additions to Versailles, the Royal Stables (1679-82) and Orangerie (1681-85).


For the architect, see e.g. Berger A Royal Passion (1994), ch.10