Bromby, John Edward (1809-89; English)

Pre-Felton works bequeathed by Bromby: * Koekkoek Unlading Fishing Smacks {1889} Loc? [PA] * Raphael [attrib.] Head of St John {1889} Loc? [PA] Unknown (17C Italian?) after Reni Repentance of St Peter {1889} NGV [PA] After an earlier career as both clergyman and teacher, Bromby migrated to Melbourne in 1857 to become the first headmaster of

Goold, James Alipius (1812-86; Irish/Australian)

Works donated to the pre-Felton collection by Goold * Unknown (19C Italian?) Italian Boy and Cat {1867} Loc? [PA] * Unknown (19C Italian?) Martyrdom of St Sebastian {1867} Loc? [PA] Goold was the first Roman Catholic Bishop of Melbourne (1848-74) and then Archbishop of Melbourne (1874-86). He was instrumental in the commencement of building work on

Canova, Antonio (1757-1822; Italian)

Works after Canova listed in this catalogue * Canova [after] Head of Christ {1870} Loc? [SC] * Canova [attrib.] Eve {1885} Loc? [SC] Neither work listed above is extant, but it seems most unlikely that either was original. The pre-Felton Melbourne collection also included plaster casts after several statues by the renowned neoclassical sculptor, whose work was

* Canova [after] Head of Christ {1870} Loc? [SC]

Canova, Antonio (1757-1822; Italian) [after] Head of Christ  Bronze relief Purchased 1870 Unidentified; location unknown This work is listed in the 1943 NGV catalogue (one of the few sculptural works remaining in the collection at that time, after the late 1930s/early 40s purge of older examples). However, the 1943 catalogue was not illustrated, and there