Alinari (& others) Photographs of Central & Northern Italy {1860-61} SLV [PH]

Alinari (Fratelli Alinari) (est.1852; Italian), & others Photographs of Central & Northern Italy 40 photos, various sizes (album 55.3 x 45 cm) Purchased from the Architectural Photographic Association, 1860-61 State Library of Victoria LTWEF 9 [H87.83/1-40] This album contains a relatively conventional set of views of Florence (nos.1-17), Lucca (18), Monza (19), Pavia (20-21), Pisa

Bisson frères

Bisson, Louis-Auguste (1814-76; French) & Bisson, Auguste-Rosalie (1826-1900; French) Albums included in this catalogue Baldus & Bisson frères France and Belgium {1860-61} SLV [PH] Bisson frères Switzerland and America {1860} SLV [PH] Louis-Auguste Bisson was a pioneer of photography, opening his Paris studio in 1841; later, he was joined by his younger brother. Their 1850s-60

Bisson frères Switzerland and America {1860} SLV [PH]

Bisson frères: Bisson, Louis-Auguste (1814-76; French) & Bisson, Auguste-Rosalie (1826-1900; French) Switzerland and America (album) 14 albumen silver photographs Purchased, 1860 State Library of Victoria (H87.117/1-14) One of the albums purchased from the Architectural Photographic Association in the early 1860s: see also Baldus & Bisson frères France and Belgium {1860-61} SLV [PH]. This collection includes some

Baldus & Bisson frères France and Belgium {1860-61} SLV [PH]

Baldus, Edouard (1813-89; French), and Bisson frères [Bisson, Louis-Auguste (1814-76; French) & Bisson, Auguste-Rosalie (1826-1900; French)] France and Belgium (album) 33 albumen silver photographs, c.68.3 x 47 cm Purchased, 1860-61 State Library of Victoria (H87.83/1-33) One of several albums purchased from the Architectural Photographic Association in the early 1860s, this collection comprised a group of

Ham (T.) after Strutt Opening of Prince’s Bridge 1851 (c.2) {1868} SLV [PR]

Ham, Thomas (1871-70; English/Australian), after Strutt, William (1825-1915; English/Australian) Opening of Prince’s Bridge 1851 (c.2) Engraving, 23 x 35.5 cm (image), 45.3 x 63.7 cm (sheet) Acquired 1868 (probably donated by J.P.Fawkner) State Library of Victoria (H82.288/123) For comments on this composition and the event it commemorates, see Ham (T.) after Strutt Opening of Prince’s

Shepherd Wesley Church, Melbourne {by 1870} SLV [PR]

Shepherd, Richard (1825-85; English/Australian) Wesley Church, Melbourne (c.1868) Hand-coloured lithograph, 56.7 x 41.4 cm (image) Presented by Joseph Reed, by 1870 State Library of Victoria (H2085) This print was presented by the architect of the Wesley Church (also the principal architect of the first Melbourne Public Library buildings). See also * Willmore (A.) after Gill

Hymans, Henri (1836-1912; Belgian)

Works included in this catalogue * Hymans after Dell’Acqua The Tortoise Merchant {1868} [PR] * Hymans after Induno Popolane di Roma {1868} [PR] Besides being a print-maker, Hymans was also curator of prints at the Bibliothèque royale in Brussels, and a respected art historian. Both lithographs listed above, part of the donation of prints by

* Hymans after Dell’Acqua The Tortoise Merchant {1868} [PR]

Hymans, Henri (1836-1912; Belgian) after Dell’Acqua, Cesare (1821-1905; Italian) The Tortoise Merchant Lithograph Presented by the Belgian Government, 1868 Unidentified; present location unknown Both pre-Felton prints by Hymans (for details, see linked entry) reproduced works by contemporary Italian painters. Dell’Acqua, born in Trieste, moved to Brussels in 1848 and became a successful painter of historical

Maguire after Negelen Sir John Franklin {by 1865} SLV [PR]

Maguire, Thomas-Herbert (1821-95; English), after Negelen, Joseph Mathias (1792-1870; Swiss) Sir John Franklin (1837) Lithograph Presented by C.B.Wild, Esq., by 1865 SLV H1525 (“Oval Portrait” no.44) Franklin (1786-1847), famous as an Arctic explorer, joined the navy in 1800, was a crew member on Flinders’ circumnavigation of Australia in the Investigator in 1802, and fought at the

Hart St Phillip’s East Collingwood 1866 {1868} SLV? [PR]

Hart, Walter (details unknown), after Cook, Albert Charles (1836-1902; English/Australian) St Phillip’s Church, East Collingwood 1866 Wood engraving Acquired 1868 State Library of Victoria (?) (IAN27/08/66/12) This print, published in the Australian news for home readers, 27 August 1866, shows the recently-constructed Gothic Revival church designed by Lloyd Taylor (1830-1900). The church was later destroyed

Plaster Casts

[photo: View of Melbourne’s casts in 1872 (1 of 2 albumen silver photographs): detail (SLV H96.160/1789)] Introduction to Melbourne’s plaster cast collection The production of replicas of famous statues, already widespread in the ancient Roman period, grew in popularity and accessibility after 1850, with the availability of cheaper, good quality plaster casts. These were produced

Casts – III. Miscellaneous

[above: Reproduction of the list in AR 1870-71, pp.28-29, detailing Murphy’s donation]   Many of the casts originally selected by Redmond Barry for their general aesthetic and/or historical value to the Melbourne Public Library were obviously regarded increasingly as Gallery School assets, as the century progressed. Nevertheless, several groups of casts were clearly intended from

Casts – II.Busts & heads

[photo: Queen’s Reading Room, MPL, looking north (SLV H4740, accredited to Sears’ Studios, c.1910)] The initial group of casts ordered for Melbourne from Brucciani included “48 Busts of remarkable persons selected not for their artistic value, but for the celebrity of the persons represented”: see letter of 26 October 1860 from R.Chester Waters to Redmond

Casts – I.Statues, statuettes & reliefs

[photo: detail of one of Nettleton’s 1872 overviews of Melbourne’s cast collection (SLV H96.160/1790)]   Casts are listed alphabetically by title, as they were in Melbourne’s early catalogues (1865 etc.). Dates of acquisition, e.g. {c.1860}, apply to the casts, which were purchased unless specified as donations (for details of individual donors, see Casts – Donors).

Casts – Donors

Most of Melbourne’s plaster casts were purchased from government funding for the MPL, especially in the early years of the formation of the art collection (1860-63). However, Redmond Barry also went to considerable pains during the same period to solicit donations from various individuals. These included a number of wealthy and/or prominent individuals, both in

Casts – Overviews

The early engravings and photographs of Melbourne’s plaster casts, listed below, provide valuable information on the changing location and arrangement of the collection, as well as helping with identification of individual casts. Nos.1-3 document their initial exhibition in the first MPL building in the 1860s. Nos.4-8 and 10 show the casts in the Sculpture Gallery

New Entries Sept.-Oct. 2020

[photo: detail of photograph of Picture Gallery, MPL, 1872 (SLV H96.160/1793)]   Plaster Casts A new “mini-catalogue” of Melbourne’s former plaster cast collection is now available here: see Plaster Casts. This lists all the casts recorded as acquired between 1860 and 1904, with documentation (including engraved and photographic views of the collection, from 1863 to

Forthcoming Developments

  [photo: Charles Nettleton: Sculpture Gallery, National Gallery of Victoria, albumen silver photo, c.1872, detail (SLV H96.160/1789)] This catalogue, launched in July 2020, is designed to be an evolving rather than static record, allowing for updates and additions as new information becomes available. Accordingly, regular bulletins will be posted, alerting users to new or amended

* Canova [after] Two lions {by 1865} Loc? [SC]

Canova, Antonio (1757-1822; Italian) [after] Two lions Bronze Acquired by 1865 Present location unknown The famous lions from Canova’s tomb of Pope Clement XIII (St Peter’s Basilica, 1783-92), one vigilant and the other asleep, have often been reproduced at reduced scale. A full-scale bronze pair, cast from the originals, was installed outside the Corcoran Gallery

* Gauci (?) George Augustus Robinson {by 1865} Loc? [PR]

Gauci, Maxim (1774-1854; Maltese/English) (?) George Augustus Robinson Lithograph, c.37.1 x 25.6 cm Acquired by 1865 Present location unknown Robinson (1791-1866), a builder by trade, and a devout Christian and lay preacher, migrated to Hobart in 1824. In 1828, he was appointed by Lt-Governor George Arthur to attempt a “conciliation” between Tasmanian settlers and the

* Hymans after Induno Popolane di Roma {1868} Loc? [PR]

Hymans, Henri (1836-1912; Belgian), after Induno, Gerolamo (1825-90; Italian) Popolane di Roma {sic} Engraving Presented by the Belgian government, 1868 Present location unknown Hymans, besides being a print-maker, was also an art historian and curator of prints at the Bibliothèque royale in Brussels. Induno studied at the Brera Academy in his native Milan from 1839-46

* Meunier after Madou L’Arquebusier {1868?} Loc? [PR]

Meunier, Jean Baptiste (1821-1900; Belgian), after Madou, Jean Baptiste (1796-1877; Belgian) L’Arquebusier Engraving, c.46.8 x 39.7 cm Presented by the Belgian government, c.1868 Present location unknown Madou worked as a genre painter and print-maker. Meunier was a noted Belgian etcher; he also taught his brother Constantin (1831-1905), a sculptor and realist painter, and his son