Strafford, George (c.1820-96; English/Australian)
Police Station, Richmond Paddock (c.1854)
Pencil, white gouache and watercolour on brown paper, 23 x 37 cm
Purchased, 1888
State Library of Victoria (H281)

This sketch (signed at the lower left) and Strafford St Paul’s Church {1888} SLV [DR], purchased together, show glimpses of Melbourne’s beginnings.

Here, the first wooden bridge over the Yarra is visible to the right of centre; see also Unknown artist Balbirnie’s Bridge 1850 {1891} SLV [DR].


AR 1888, p.36 (listed as a watercolour); NGV 1894, p.115 (V.Buvelot Gallery, 3rd bay, no.50); NGV 1905, p.134 (V.Buvelot Gallery, 3rd bay, no.57) [£2/2]