Summers, Charles (1825-78; English)
The Princess of Wales 1878
Marble, c. 152 cm high (statue)
Presented by Sir William Clarke, 1878; de-accessioned, 1939
Jack Shiel Gardens, Alexandra

This fourth statue in the group of portraits of the royal family donated in 1878 (for details, see Summers (Charles) Queen Victoria {1878} Melb.Showgrounds [SC]) was relocated to the Victorian town of Alexandra in 1939.

A Princess of Denmark, Alexandra (1845-1925) married Albert Edward (later Edward VII) in 1863. Reputed to be a great beauty, she has the dubious distinction of having held the title of Princess of Wales for longer than anyone else.

Refs.

AR 1878, p.51; SB, p.67; NGV 1880, p.1 (as 5’ high); NGV 1894, p.134 (VI.Rotunda, no.49; NGV 1905, p. 155 (VI.Sculpture – Entrance Hall, no.10)

For photos of this statue in its current location, including the image shown here, see https://www.flickr.com/photos/40262251@N03/8664958568/; and for further details, see http://guides.slv.vic.gov.au/c.php?g=245295&p=1633312